Saturday, March 8, 2008

Who on Earth is this Mr. Olp?

If you've been reading this blog, I'm sure you've asked this question. Now, here's the moment, when I finally tell you! (Drum roll)

He's a fictional character I made up.

OH.

How boring.

No it isn't! Now shut up and listen!

Sorry.

He's a fictional character I made up in a novel I wrote. Now don't get all excited and rush off to the nearest Barnes and Noble, because it isn't published yet. I'm still working on editing and rewriting it. (Believe me, it's got a lot to rewrite.)
Anyhow, here's the (Current) paragraph from my novel where he's described:

'Then, out of the haze he came, singing a little tune as he did so, waving to the sleeping houses, which ignored him entirely. He was a curious looking man, with a weathered hat, a long, beaky nose and scraggly thin whiskers. In a large degree he strangely resembled an owl.'

Hmmm, so now we're beginning to get a picture of what this 'Olp' looks like. To finish this particular picture you're forming, I will show you a painting I made of him. Be warned: it's in a very surrealistic style. (It's easier to paint that way.)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By iglik, shot with Canon PowerShot A710 IS at 2008-03-08

In the book, Mr. Olp is a very strange individual who likes to act mysteriouly, is apparently in charge of some secret orginization (or maybe he just belongs to one) and keeps many deep and strange secrets. He continually acts off the wall, and says some of the most peculiar things. He drives a black car that looks like this:http://www.customclassicgto.com/images/customclassicgto/ACFPBO3DcyQi.jpg
(It's just a picture I found on the internet, I don't own, or know anybody who owns a car like that.)

Now, it may also interest you to know that there is, in fact, a real Mr. Olp, named Gary Gene Olp (Gary is also the name of my dad, which is kinda interesting) that I found while searching the name on the internet. Apparently he's an architect, interested in solar power and things like that. Here's a website which talks about him: http://www.ggoarchitects.com/gary.html

I do, however, reckon that this Gary Gene Olp, doesn't in fact, look in the least like an owl. (Grins)

(Taylor Nielsen has fled the building)

No comments: